Skip to main content

Words, Impacts and Your Version


Imagine, you give your best and still someone very close to you says some brutal words and you just stare at them with the hope that they would realize the impact of those words.

I bet this would have happened to you once in a lifetime. We are human beings. Words can break us or make us. Words can make you or break you. This thought compelled me to write our similar experiences. This post is basically for the youth from 20-30 who have not found their purposes and moving in circles for something they truly value.

So, the other day I was reading this post where it was mentioned that my image in your mind was different than who I truly was. It goes like you do not the real me. You have created a version of myself in your mind – you judge my actions based on that version. But in reality, that version is misleading. You cannot judge my actions based on the version of myself in your mind. Are you following me? I don’t think so.

Let me simplify this for you. I adopted a cat. You might think that cats are my favourite pets. But in my mind, I adopted her because she was just a stray cat. Similarly, people judge us based on their versions of ourselves.

Now, what I observed is that you don’t have to worry about your image in their minds. It gets tough if you think they would ever understand you or even appreciate you. This is for Asian boys – especially in the subcontinent – where they have a strange relationship with their fathers. They want a little bit of motivation, a hug or appreciation from the only person – dad – but they don’t get it. And they never will. Why?

Because the version of you in their mind is not the same as you in reality or your mind. We are different persons to everyone we meet. My image is different in my sister’s mind and the list goes on.

There are thousands of your images in this world depending on your circle. Your reality is just an illusion. You cannot tell everyone or make them understand about your thought process. It is different for everyone.

Anyways, words will only break you if you think that people know you. That they know your struggles and hard work, or they could perform better if they were you. Words are powerful, I agree. And sometimes, words can kill you. But, then we have this five-minute rule. Take a deep breath,  focus on the words, translate it in some language that you don’t understand and let them go. This practice is good if the words are coming from a distant relationship. For close knits, I would suggest you ponder over their words, think about your version in their mind, understand their point of view and then let it go.

We are just human beings. Many of us don’t even know why we are here. Those who know their purpose in life do not get affected by the cruel words. This blog is for those who were deeply hurt by the words of a close one. Trust me when I say that I too have experienced this.  I too have experienced this. For three years, I have been trying and still, I am moving in circles with no end in sight. But I am still going strong and so are you. We won’t let their versions of us win. It is our responsibility to show them the real us – the real self that we are.   


Comments

  1. The power of perception and the various versions people hold of us can indeed be perplexing. Your insights on navigating the complexities of self-perception, especially in relationships with fathers in the subcontinent are poignant.

    Your advice on dealing with hurtful Words and the importance of understanding different perspectives is valuable. It's a reminder that while words can be powerful, our inner strength lies in our ability to rise above them. Your honesty about personal struggles is both relatable and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, please keep reading. it means a lot when people find it relatable.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In the Abyss of Despair

I lost, when, where and how. I don't know. What did I lose? I don't know. Was I really in the abyss of despair? I had no idea. Maybe a part of myself, a piece of my heart, my soul? I couldn't figure it out. I never would. It was so sudden that I couldn't gather the courage to find it again. Why it was like that? Was I miserable? Or I was just overthinking? Was there any hope for me? Or I was just being overdramatic?  I wanted to scream, I wanted to share, I wanted to yell the hell out of me but I couldn't. How could I? The only thing that kept me alive, was no more with me. Without a soul, the words did not weigh much. I had only words. The words that had kept me alive. Without them, I was nothing, they had lost their impact. I was wondering in the sea of nothingness. My surroundings were nothing but the abyss of pessimism. I could have escaped but there was no need to escape. How could we escape ourselves? In the process of escapism, we lose the essence of the self

A Poem Rumi Forgot To Complete

They ask me who am I. Should this question be asked? Of course not. Sadly, I have no name, it ruins the beauty of mystery. The name does not matter, does it? Many people died without anyone remembering their names. They were incomplete stories, unwritten words, and undiscovered thoughts. I want to remain like that too  because I am a poem Rumi forgot to complete. Today, I choose to write about that incomplete poem. But why I am the poem of Rumi? And not of Shakespeare,  Shah Latif, or Bullhe Shah?  Because Rumi had Shams.  Shams acted as a muse for Rumi. When he started that poem, he lost his muse; thus an incomplete poem was born. An incomplete chaos, an unsolved puzzle, and everything that is lost on the way. We all are someone's Rumi and someone's Shams - doesn't it sound amazing? But in reality, neither you are a Shams nor I am a Rumi. We are those words that were never said loudly. Words that were only thought.  So, starting from this, I finally tried to write about my

The Conflict between Realism and Idealism

No, I am not writing any philosophy here. But, you all have thought of a dream life where no pain exists. No heartbreaks, no fake friends only happiness. It would be wrong to say that I have not thought about it. But my idealism  differs from yours. I have always dreamt of a peaceful mind - a mind which does not think about reality. It also avoids ideas.  Let me simplify this for you. We think that people understand us but in reality, it is exactly the opposite. Here too, the realism  is again contradictory to itself. We communicate our feelings very clearly but still, our emotions are left unheard. This whole idea of our existence is an illusion.  What if I tell you that reality exists in your mind, you see the colours of the world do not exist in reality. It is our mind that makes us see those colours. I perceive the colour of the leaves of a tree as green, but for another person, it is yellow or blue or anything.  "I think therefore I am", Descartes  says. I do not believ