Skip to main content

A Poem Rumi Forgot To Complete

They ask me who am I. Should this question be asked? Of course not. Sadly, I have no name, it ruins the beauty of mystery. The name does not matter, does it? Many people died without anyone remembering their names. They were incomplete stories, unwritten words, and undiscovered thoughts. I want to remain like that too because I am a poem Rumi forgot to complete. Today, I choose to write about that incomplete poem. But why I am the poem of Rumi? And not of Shakespeare, Shah Latif, or Bullhe Shah? Because Rumi had Shams. 


Shams acted as a muse for Rumi. When he started that poem, he lost his muse; thus an incomplete poem was born. An incomplete chaos, an unsolved puzzle, and everything that is lost on the way.


We all are someone's Rumi and someone's Shams - doesn't it sound amazing? But in reality, neither you are a Shams nor I am a Rumi. We are those words that were never said loudly. Words that were only thought. 


So, starting from this, I finally tried to write about my blog name. Why would I not explain something that my blog suggests? I am at a loss of words but I'll give it a shot. 


Some years ago, I had the chance to read "The Forty Love of Rules". With every rule, this poem kept on becoming more and more complex and complicated. With each word, the art began to turn into chaos. And I became no longer a poem, a prose, a story, a fiction, a novel, or anything.  In search of myself, I just turned into ashes. 


So why the poem is still incomplete?


Like the seven stages of love, this poem too went through multiple stages, in the hope of being complete, searching for a rhythm and a last line that would just define it perfectly. Perhaps, this poem will be moving in circles for the whole life because who can complete a poem by someone else than its poet. The poem moved post to pillars to find its Rumi, the poem became Shams and sought for Rumi in the twenty-first century but it was a wild goose chase. The poem was lost in entangled thoughts and a cruel world.


Childhood and the ideal world


You must be wondering, why a nihilist calls herself Rumi's incomplete poem? The reason for this is simple. Like anything that goes through multiple stages before getting a finished product, humans too experience life in different phases. 


With each phase, we label ourselves with some ideas, some identity, some self, and some love. Being a Pakistani and born into a conservative family, I was taught about the things that have no basis in real life. During my childhood, they taught me about idealism, a list of dos and don'ts. They told me that I'd get everything I wanted. I just have to try harder. I'd be the luckiest girl out there. Everything would come too easily and I could do it with my eyes shut and that life was so beautiful. But, they were wrong. 


The first experience of real-world


Then I grew up, and during my teenage, I saw the cruel world out there. It had no empathy, no sympathy, no idealism, no love, no kindness. It was nasty and brutish as Hobbes said. It was horrible. People concealed their true intentions behind a mask of deception. Teenage is a time when everyone goes through a deep shit. But, the reality hits differently when you just step outside, thinking that it's all sunshine and roses. I saw reality with my own eyes. Reality that was never taught to me. At that time, I became the theory of the allegory of the cave. The stories that mythmakers told us were nowhere to be found. The reality was different.  But they kept on telling me to keep my eyes shut. It is just a phase of life - it will pass. And yes, it passed but at what cost? I lost myself. The poem lost its first line. So they told me about spiritualism to get back my initial thoughts. 


The stage of silence


Again, with no hope left in me, I listened to them. I became silent. The immense beauty and tranquility of silence and submission just took me over. I stopped arguing and protected my peace. Silence brought me some peace because even in the start, they never heard me. Screaming did not help. Thus, I chose silence, and it gave birth to contradictions. When people go silent, they think. And no sane mind would want people to think. Once again, they were here to put limitations on my thoughts, and my thinking process. Hence, they came up with another restriction. They said mysticism is not allowed. Mystics mislead people. I submitted to them and forgot everything about Shams and Rumi. They told me to be practical and be more optimistic. They led me towards another flawed ideology of optimism. 


Silence, Rumi, Poem
The Mess in My Mind

With each passing stage, it became worse


Hope is a dangerous thing. I knew from the start but I had no option. Thus, I kept my hope alive for years, thinking that it would get better. I used to wake up every day and pray that everything was going to be okay eventually, if not today, someday or one day. It would get better. I told myself. I blindly followed them. But it never did. It kept on getting worse. The poem remained incomplete with its missing stanzas. There was no Man o To (You and I). There was only one. It was me against me. 


So I stopped believing in everything


So I stopped believing in everything because I could not go against myself. The war against me was a tough battle. I could never win it without ending myself. I desperately needed a companion, but not in the form of a human. So I looked at books, to find something relatable. At that time, Kafka was the only person I could fall back on. And that's what I did.  


Now, when I think about nihilism, the differences arise. Because, nihilism is also a theory, accepted by some people with mental health issues like you and me so I declare to stop believing in that too. But then again who cares what we think? They understand only when it's too late.  


That incomplete poem should be completed at any cost. But who would do that? Now when the world is ending, time is flying, and people are losing hope in everything, who'd care and who'd have the time to complete the unfinished poems except those who think the same. 


Let's find something new


Thus, we have to find something - something more concrete and solid - something infallible, something that's beyond the concept of contradictions. Something that is the Telos of Aristotle and Sa'ada of Al-Farabi. Let's find that together, and no, I am not pointing here towards God. Do let me know in the comments what is that something. 

Comments

  1. Most of times , when we are looking for something it tends be in a place ,where we are looking the least or have stopped looking at that such place.
    We don't consider the fallacies of our age ,as if we are seeing the life through different lenses or filters . We just accept what we wanna accept.

    What you wrote is quite relatablbe at the same place very contradictive.

    I learn this through trial and error ,that what I consider right doesnt necessarily make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, but again there is no concept of right and wrong. It's just social constructions.

      Delete
    2. concept of right and wrong is critical for the society( so called social construct) but the real problem is that, on what principles should we base these concept upon.

      Delete
    3. exactly - thats why everyone looked for a synthesis - but there is no synthesis.

      Delete
    4. It depends what you consider as a synthesis.
      For you maybe there is no synthesgis but that doesnt mean there is no such.
      Tge world dsnt make sense for me if there no what you call a synthesis.
      I am no genious or a scholar or a philosopher but still many things that I believed blindly ,I asured myself with sufficient answers.

      Delete
    5. What I am saying is that can't we find the truth ourselves? Why we have to blindly follow the others? If I can't it, it doesn't exist for me. Because reality us subjective. You can see a red color, for me the same color maybe green so that's the point.

      Delete
    6. lets say you want to learn human anatomy , then there are 2 choices for you: 1 you try to make sense how the human body work from the ground up, name every part, every organ or you take what others before you discovered and build upon that.

      I also consider blindly following something as a sign of ignorance,even if you are following something that is correct we ought to know why it is right.

      Delete
  2. This blog is really well-written. It takes you through the journey of growing up and realizing that life can be more complicated than we think. The way you talk about facing challenges and searching for meaning is thoughtful. It's a great read that makes you think about your own experiences and the pursuit of understanding in a complex world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your perspective on finding things where we least expect is a common sentiment, yet your assertion about accepting what aligns with our desires raises questions about subjective biases. your acknowledgment of contradictions in your own reflections hints at a certain skepticism about the reliability of personal beliefs. Learning through trial and error implies a constant reassessment of what we consider right, challenging the notion of absolute truths. The interplay between subjective perception and objective reality is a nuanced and ongoing process that shapes our understanding of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While your narrative reflects a challenging perspective, not everyone encounters the same hardships or interprets life through a nihilistic lens. Diversity in experiences shapes contrasting viewpoints, and acknowledging this complexity enriches our understanding of the human journey. in Islam, we're taught that challenges are part of the divine plan. Life's complexities can be a test, and hope is found in steadfast faith. Each incomplete poem, in the grand scheme, contributes to a larger, divine narrative. May your journey find solace and understanding through the lens of faith.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In the Abyss of Despair

I lost, when, where and how. I don't know. What did I lose? I don't know. Was I really in the abyss of despair? I had no idea. Maybe a part of myself, a piece of my heart, my soul? I couldn't figure it out. I never would. It was so sudden that I couldn't gather the courage to find it again. Why it was like that? Was I miserable? Or I was just overthinking? Was there any hope for me? Or I was just being overdramatic?  I wanted to scream, I wanted to share, I wanted to yell the hell out of me but I couldn't. How could I? The only thing that kept me alive, was no more with me. Without a soul, the words did not weigh much. I had only words. The words that had kept me alive. Without them, I was nothing, they had lost their impact. I was wondering in the sea of nothingness. My surroundings were nothing but the abyss of pessimism. I could have escaped but there was no need to escape. How could we escape ourselves? In the process of escapism, we lose the essence of the self

The Conflict between Realism and Idealism

No, I am not writing any philosophy here. But, you all have thought of a dream life where no pain exists. No heartbreaks, no fake friends only happiness. It would be wrong to say that I have not thought about it. But my idealism  differs from yours. I have always dreamt of a peaceful mind - a mind which does not think about reality. It also avoids ideas.  Let me simplify this for you. We think that people understand us but in reality, it is exactly the opposite. Here too, the realism  is again contradictory to itself. We communicate our feelings very clearly but still, our emotions are left unheard. This whole idea of our existence is an illusion.  What if I tell you that reality exists in your mind, you see the colours of the world do not exist in reality. It is our mind that makes us see those colours. I perceive the colour of the leaves of a tree as green, but for another person, it is yellow or blue or anything.  "I think therefore I am", Descartes  says. I do not believ