Skip to main content

Existential Crisis: Finding Self

Existential Crisis aabialwayswrites rabail anjum
Existential Crisis and Blurring of Self

A nihilist must not be finding self but we all are experiencing existential crisis. When the meaning of life and self are not clear, we entangle ourselves in webs of disbelief, in puzzles of finding our pieces one by one by discovering our true selves. Let's start!


Existential Crisis: How do I see myself


This was not the article I intended to post this week, but I changed my mind. The main question is why? Because I realized people can never understand each other. Everything, every opinion, every perspective is different. There are thousands of versions of ourselves. Some people judge me based on my writings, and my posts on Instagram and other social media platforms. My family calls me crazy since I am the most comfortable with them and do the things that no one else can do. My friends see me as someone who is an introvert and so on. How do I see myself? At this point in life, I would say nothing. It has become a story of existential crisis. I think there are thousands of versions of me (self) in this world. With each passing day, this question becomes complex, that is why we are here.


Journey to Self and Buddhism 


People ask me what I am seeking. I am seeking myself, trying to connect myself with the world, universe and most of all with me - the me that I have not come across. For this, I have explored many philosophies but I am at loss. 


The other day someone recommended me to study Buddhism for spiritualism. I tried to study Buddha's philosophy. The common thing in the four noble truths is suffering. The suffering that some might not be ready for. The pain, the agony, the chaos, we all try to avoid. In simple terms the concept of hedonism. We want to maximize pleasure and minimize pain. But I think differently. To me, one's journey starts with pain and completes with the end of suffering. But does the suffering end really? I don't think so. Suffering is necessary, it should not end. Otherwise, the life would be smooth. And we would not experience any emotions except peace. But we are humans we want to experience everything - the joy, the happiness, the sadness, the emptiness, the adrenaline rush, almost everything. But what if I tell you, there is no subject (self), no object but only experience? 


The concept of emptiness


As I was invested in Buddha's philosophy this week. It is a complex theory for me and I am also trying to understand it more and make it easier for you. However, oversimplification ruins the beauty of everything, at least that's what I think. 


Let's elaborate more by discussing the Buddhist concept of sunyata (emptiness). It revolves around the concept that there is no self (subject), and it is only the domino effect, an endless cycle of cause and effect. All the things that we experience are not personal because there is no self. The self as we know it, is our thoughts, mind or body. However, in spiritualism, all the Yogis, and Gurus deny that these things constitute me. There is something that is above these things - some call it a soul. To me, it can never be described by reading or writing. It must be experienced. Even Buddha remained silent when he was asked if the self existed. 


Besides, Nagarjuna, the one who expanded the Buddhist philosophy, adds that there is no object. The things that we are experiencing do not exist. Hence, we do not have a self and objects. Here the theory becomes interesting. Even though there is no you or the things you are experiencing something. We cannot deny that there is no experience since there is something that we all go through, we call it experience. 


Since there is no self, there must not be any emotions not even ego because we do not exist in reality. Everything is just a mere concept. The real self is different from the concept of self that we experience. However, the false self that we experience by associating it with objects does not exist in reality. Hence, our existence is merely a false sense of belonging. 


Here life becomes more interesting. We have this false ego, which I perceive as a veil on our eyes and blinds us from seeing reality. The only reason our ego hurts is because it does not want us to bury itself. Because that's what constitutes us. If we don't have ego, we are not humans. It is the most fragile yet most dangerous thing. 


Let's take an example. If I eat at a fancy restaurant, my ego has convinced me that this is the place where my worth becomes ten times more than my actual worth. But I love eating at Dhabba, yet I cannot eat at a Dhabba, because my ego will not allow me to eat at that kind of hotel. Does it affect me (self as I know it)? The food might be the same in taste, may vary in prices but that's how my ego has made me to serve it rather than me. The ultimate winner in that is my ego. 


Beyond Ego and Existential Crisis


Even though I want to write to much more about it. How it shapes our daily activities, how it shapes our whole personality, how it affects our relations and us. But, I am still learning to understand it better. Only then, I can comment on how can we control it and become our true selves. Till then, we can just write and read about it. Again, everything is merely a concept and not a reality. 


In short, there must not be any suffering, any pain or any ego as we do not exist. We attach a deceptive identity to ourselves and detach from our real selves. The people who ask me what I am seeking. I quest for this to go beyond this myth of self. To find the thing that exists. To find peace, to avoid pleasure, to attain Nirvana, to become my complete self. However, I will not use the word "perfect", since perfection is a myth. Let's just try to find a more logical meaning of life, and ourselves. If you have tried to do so, I am always here to listen to your stories. I will wait for your comments on self-journey of you. 

 

______________


Author's Note: Due to my busy schedule, I cannot reply to everyone in the DM; hence, I have created a group chat for discussion on Instagram. You can drop a text on Instagram, and I'll add you there. 

Comments

  1. Hmmmm...i suggest not goin deep in these stuffs...as many lost found nothing...they spend life's got nothing coz it's a loop way ..no destination..but their goes everyone different pov and life ..if u wanna read i suggest holy book Geeta...which suggest us to make ourself ideal one...with no ego anger and emotions...like Nirvana may be. Other good theorys on karm(duty)..etc..or theirs my way.. believe science.. thought logically..ignore many things...live life expercing making stories...motivating others to grow up whatever they want and smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "One who does not know pain cannot possibly understand true peace!"

    Everybody goes through existantial crisis.

    In the past, I used to think , how many faces do people have?
    They act in one way infront of me and differently in front of others as if I am seeing a different person.

    As much as I observed people almost nobody is many faced or puts a mask of to hide their real self.
    Nor its a case of being comfortable to show true colors.
    All of the personas that we have are real and most of the time they depend on the person we are interacting with.

    As for ego I try to tame it, whenever I feel superior in some sense to others ,I try to humble myself as far as to deliberately doing something to show them that its not the case.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In the Abyss of Despair

I lost, when, where and how. I don't know. What did I lose? I don't know. Was I really in the abyss of despair? I had no idea. Maybe a part of myself, a piece of my heart, my soul? I couldn't figure it out. I never would. It was so sudden that I couldn't gather the courage to find it again. Why it was like that? Was I miserable? Or I was just overthinking? Was there any hope for me? Or I was just being overdramatic?  I wanted to scream, I wanted to share, I wanted to yell the hell out of me but I couldn't. How could I? The only thing that kept me alive, was no more with me. Without a soul, the words did not weigh much. I had only words. The words that had kept me alive. Without them, I was nothing, they had lost their impact. I was wondering in the sea of nothingness. My surroundings were nothing but the abyss of pessimism. I could have escaped but there was no need to escape. How could we escape ourselves? In the process of escapism, we lose the essence of the self

A Poem Rumi Forgot To Complete

They ask me who am I. Should this question be asked? Of course not. Sadly, I have no name, it ruins the beauty of mystery. The name does not matter, does it? Many people died without anyone remembering their names. They were incomplete stories, unwritten words, and undiscovered thoughts. I want to remain like that too  because I am a poem Rumi forgot to complete. Today, I choose to write about that incomplete poem. But why I am the poem of Rumi? And not of Shakespeare,  Shah Latif, or Bullhe Shah?  Because Rumi had Shams.  Shams acted as a muse for Rumi. When he started that poem, he lost his muse; thus an incomplete poem was born. An incomplete chaos, an unsolved puzzle, and everything that is lost on the way. We all are someone's Rumi and someone's Shams - doesn't it sound amazing? But in reality, neither you are a Shams nor I am a Rumi. We are those words that were never said loudly. Words that were only thought.  So, starting from this, I finally tried to write about my

The Conflict between Realism and Idealism

No, I am not writing any philosophy here. But, you all have thought of a dream life where no pain exists. No heartbreaks, no fake friends only happiness. It would be wrong to say that I have not thought about it. But my idealism  differs from yours. I have always dreamt of a peaceful mind - a mind which does not think about reality. It also avoids ideas.  Let me simplify this for you. We think that people understand us but in reality, it is exactly the opposite. Here too, the realism  is again contradictory to itself. We communicate our feelings very clearly but still, our emotions are left unheard. This whole idea of our existence is an illusion.  What if I tell you that reality exists in your mind, you see the colours of the world do not exist in reality. It is our mind that makes us see those colours. I perceive the colour of the leaves of a tree as green, but for another person, it is yellow or blue or anything.  "I think therefore I am", Descartes  says. I do not believ