Skip to main content

Whispers of the Wicked: Trembling Hands


Trembling hands
Whispers of the Wicked

He looked at his shaking hands. A few weeks ago, he was just fine. He had no trembling hands. He did not sneeze and cough most of the time. He was full of energy. He was never grateful for that. 

"Did I take my health for granted? Isn't this the same for everyone?" 

This was his first time experiencing this kind of thing, the illness. Definitely, health was a top priority but he had taken many things for granted, his career, his partner, his life, his happiness, God, everything he could think of. He had taken almost everything for granted. He was so sure that he would never lose any of them. So, he took everything causally. Nothing was important for him anymore. Not his name nor his fame. He preferred to keep it simple, but was his life really simple? 

He thought in the middle of the night. He looked back at his past, full of regrets but he wasn't ashamed, he never would be. Because that's what he was - a shameless person with no regard for anything. 

"Is it too late to be a good person?" He looked at the champagne on the counter.

"Do I really want to be a good person? Or is it just sickness? Am I thinking too much? Or is it just my health?" The topsy-turvy emotions took him over. 

With his trembling hands, he poured some champagne into the glass. He could not hold the glass with one hand, so he had to use both, which he hated because it made him a loser, a failure.  

"A  champagne would fix it. It has fixed everything. It has saved me from many things. For example, the regret. The regret of killing her feelings taking away her innocence and killing the mockingbird. It has always worked. Why wouldn't it work this time?" He thought and smirked. 

"These hands are stupid. It's like I am not in their control. Wow! These hands are really something. You guys can't do that to me. Are you stupid?" He talked to his hands. He did not drink the champagne. The instant feeling of helplessness of not being in control of his own hands made him explode. 

"You belong to me. You are literally my hands. Why are you trembling and shaking like the world is on fire? Why would you do that to me? You are idiots, you are stupid. How can you do that to me?" He literally screamed at his own hands. 

"Would a sane person do that?" Another thought clicked his mind. 

"Am I no longer a sane person? Am I losing it? Am I being deprived of my intelligence? Where am I heading? What the hell is wrong with me?" He lost the focus of his trembling hands. 

Intellectual deprivation was more cruel than his shaking hands. But would a killer really be an intellectual? 

He thought about the time when killing a mockingbird had given him such immense pleasure. 

"Ahh, I want to do that again." 

He recalled the moment when he had captured that pure little thing. He would befriend a mockingbird just so that he could kill him. He had poisoned that little fellow and later he would cut it. The hot blood splashing from its neck had given him some kind of superior feeling. Later on, he would peel the skin out of that little fellow and minced it, making it a piece of flesh with no trace of no being. He hated everything that existed and bothered him. He thought that he could do everything. And he was right about that. 

Killing is gruesome, killing a mockingbird is more gruesome, it is an act of killing all innocent people. 

While killing that cute little bird, he thought himself off as a higher being. He had done something that ninety per cent of people would never even think of. 

"I am the one. The chosen one." He proclaimed. "I am the chosen murderer of everyone". He laughed. 

Thinking about that gruesome murder brought happiness and he forgot about his hands. Back then, it wasn't a problem. He never struggled to pick up a glass, a cup, or a knife. He never knew what was going to happen until she came. 

"You are still awake." She said. 

"I was waiting for you, want to join me?" 

"Sure."

-----------------------

Author's note: Hey guys, I am trying to write a short novel, "Whispers of the Wicked". This is episode one, "Trembling Hands". If you liked it and wanna know more, drop a comment. Thank you

Comments

  1. very well thought character development, Its confusing to hate him or pity him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am at that stage that ...I can't hate him by listening only one s pov....may be he is protoganist...it's in yo hand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see. If you guys hate him or love him but you are gonna feel something about him.

      Delete
  3. I don't know else....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In the Abyss of Despair

I lost, when, where and how. I don't know. What did I lose? I don't know. Was I really in the abyss of despair? I had no idea. Maybe a part of myself, a piece of my heart, my soul? I couldn't figure it out. I never would. It was so sudden that I couldn't gather the courage to find it again. Why it was like that? Was I miserable? Or I was just overthinking? Was there any hope for me? Or I was just being overdramatic?  I wanted to scream, I wanted to share, I wanted to yell the hell out of me but I couldn't. How could I? The only thing that kept me alive, was no more with me. Without a soul, the words did not weigh much. I had only words. The words that had kept me alive. Without them, I was nothing, they had lost their impact. I was wondering in the sea of nothingness. My surroundings were nothing but the abyss of pessimism. I could have escaped but there was no need to escape. How could we escape ourselves? In the process of escapism, we lose the essence of the self

A Poem Rumi Forgot To Complete

They ask me who am I. Should this question be asked? Of course not. Sadly, I have no name, it ruins the beauty of mystery. The name does not matter, does it? Many people died without anyone remembering their names. They were incomplete stories, unwritten words, and undiscovered thoughts. I want to remain like that too  because I am a poem Rumi forgot to complete. Today, I choose to write about that incomplete poem. But why I am the poem of Rumi? And not of Shakespeare,  Shah Latif, or Bullhe Shah?  Because Rumi had Shams.  Shams acted as a muse for Rumi. When he started that poem, he lost his muse; thus an incomplete poem was born. An incomplete chaos, an unsolved puzzle, and everything that is lost on the way. We all are someone's Rumi and someone's Shams - doesn't it sound amazing? But in reality, neither you are a Shams nor I am a Rumi. We are those words that were never said loudly. Words that were only thought.  So, starting from this, I finally tried to write about my

The Conflict between Realism and Idealism

No, I am not writing any philosophy here. But, you all have thought of a dream life where no pain exists. No heartbreaks, no fake friends only happiness. It would be wrong to say that I have not thought about it. But my idealism  differs from yours. I have always dreamt of a peaceful mind - a mind which does not think about reality. It also avoids ideas.  Let me simplify this for you. We think that people understand us but in reality, it is exactly the opposite. Here too, the realism  is again contradictory to itself. We communicate our feelings very clearly but still, our emotions are left unheard. This whole idea of our existence is an illusion.  What if I tell you that reality exists in your mind, you see the colours of the world do not exist in reality. It is our mind that makes us see those colours. I perceive the colour of the leaves of a tree as green, but for another person, it is yellow or blue or anything.  "I think therefore I am", Descartes  says. I do not believ