Skip to main content

Whispers of the Wicked: Shadows of the Soul



Whispers of the Wicked, aabiwritesalways, rabail anjum, nihilism thoughts
Shadows of the Soul



Something new happened. Something that had never happened before– that he had never imagined happening before. 


He wanted to kill someone. 


For the first time in his life, he wanted to kill someone– it was the millionth wrong thing he’d ever wanted to do to someone else, but before this time, this day, it had never been death. He needed someone else’s death, now, suddenly, to bring him satisfaction. 


For the millionth time in his life, the devil in him was winning. That was it, of course. It wasn’t him, not really him– the man, himself, he would never truly want to do a thing like that. Like any of these things. He was a good man, after all. 


"It’s the devil, I am sure. It’s him. He makes me do these things," he sobbed. Into the mirror, so that he could see himself sobbing and be sure that he wasn’t evil. 


Just as quickly, though, he turned on himself.


"But the devil does not exist! Nothing exists!-- and nothing matters! I am the only one who is above anything, above anyone! I control the world! I am the person in charge! This is my kingdom!" 


He was someone who could never be loved– that was what made him small, and powerful, unstoppable, and nothing at all. Even as a child, he had never been anybody’s first priority. He’d been ignored nearly all of the time, so he found a true companion in himself, instead.


And then, out of nowhere– out of the moonlight– there she’d been. 


He hadn’t allowed her to get close. He’d been afraid to love. 


For him, love had never existed. Love was an illusion, an idea made by people who were sick; love was the idea of sick people and he was not a sick man. On the contrary– he was one of the wisest people on the planet. Never mind that he had a few bad habits. This was normal. Everyone had bad habits. And he had never been a dishonest person.  He was always happy to tell people all the things he had done in the past and would do in the future. Whose fault was it that no one believed him?


But this urge to kill someone– to kill someone… 


What was this?


And not just to simply kill someone– not quick and clean, alive and then dead, snap of the fingers, no. No, this was to kill someone from the inside out. Wounding someone. Injuring someone. This was the urge to make people pay the price for their sins. To cut them into pieces, grinding their flesh and then sprinkling it into the sky.

 

He was just doing God's work. He was just doing his own work, as God– as the king, as the lord and master of this world. 


Of course, the sinners had to pay– for their sins against him, of course they had to pay.


He thought of her– like always. 


"Can you help me?" he asked.


And she was there for him– like always.  "Yes darling. Anything for you," she smiled. Who even was she? Did he even know her name? He wasn’t sure that he did. He wasn’t even sure that she knew his– could he remember her calling him anything but “darling”? 


This time, he would not let her go. This time would not be like before. Could she tell? She seemed calm as he covered her eyes. She seemed calm, hearing him sharpen the knife. Maybe she couldn’t tell. Or maybe she could. Maybe she could tell better than him.


"I am not sorry for doing this." 


He plunged the knife into her heart, and the calm was gone.


She screamed with pain. Her voice, once resonant with life, began to quiver. She gathered her strength to retaliate– to fight back against him for the first time in the whole time that they’d known each other, if they even really knew each other, or maybe for the first time in forever– she was ready to actually fight back. But he just kept on stabbing her until she lost consciousness. 


Her blood covered the floor.

 

He smirked. 


He smiled. 


He laughed. 


For the first time in all of this, he stared at her with love, kindness and empathy– with love, with love. "You’re so calm,” he whispered to her.


Then he brought out the bigger blade and cut her body into two pieces. That was the last of it– the last of her. She couldn’t say goodbye.


He ground up what was left and buried it in his backyard. Of course, he wanted her to stay near his home. Close to his heart. 


Would he miss her or would he just replace her?


For a long time, he wasn’t sure. For years. The truth was, he had very nearly forgotten all about it when he came home what night and saw a figure, hovering, that could have been nothing at all like a human being. 


-------------------


Author's note: Here is the third episode of "Whispers of the Wicked". Do let me know your feedback in the comments. 

For reading first episode, click here. For second, click here

Comments

  1. Why do I get the vibes of "American Psycho" staring christian bale from reading these 3 episodes?
    Did you watvh that movie begore writing it.

    And for the women I dont know why women are mostly depicted as a stupid peraon in novels and movies even knlwing that its not good for them they stick around untill its unbearable.
    Also in real life women go for BAD MEN and think they can fix them then argue about it.
    Like they have GOODMEN phobia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched that movie. Anyways, the novel has not ended yet. Let's see what happens next.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In the Abyss of Despair

I lost, when, where and how. I don't know. What did I lose? I don't know. Was I really in the abyss of despair? I had no idea. Maybe a part of myself, a piece of my heart, my soul? I couldn't figure it out. I never would. It was so sudden that I couldn't gather the courage to find it again. Why it was like that? Was I miserable? Or I was just overthinking? Was there any hope for me? Or I was just being overdramatic?  I wanted to scream, I wanted to share, I wanted to yell the hell out of me but I couldn't. How could I? The only thing that kept me alive, was no more with me. Without a soul, the words did not weigh much. I had only words. The words that had kept me alive. Without them, I was nothing, they had lost their impact. I was wondering in the sea of nothingness. My surroundings were nothing but the abyss of pessimism. I could have escaped but there was no need to escape. How could we escape ourselves? In the process of escapism, we lose the essence of the self

A Poem Rumi Forgot To Complete

They ask me who am I. Should this question be asked? Of course not. Sadly, I have no name, it ruins the beauty of mystery. The name does not matter, does it? Many people died without anyone remembering their names. They were incomplete stories, unwritten words, and undiscovered thoughts. I want to remain like that too  because I am a poem Rumi forgot to complete. Today, I choose to write about that incomplete poem. But why I am the poem of Rumi? And not of Shakespeare,  Shah Latif, or Bullhe Shah?  Because Rumi had Shams.  Shams acted as a muse for Rumi. When he started that poem, he lost his muse; thus an incomplete poem was born. An incomplete chaos, an unsolved puzzle, and everything that is lost on the way. We all are someone's Rumi and someone's Shams - doesn't it sound amazing? But in reality, neither you are a Shams nor I am a Rumi. We are those words that were never said loudly. Words that were only thought.  So, starting from this, I finally tried to write about my

The Conflict between Realism and Idealism

No, I am not writing any philosophy here. But, you all have thought of a dream life where no pain exists. No heartbreaks, no fake friends only happiness. It would be wrong to say that I have not thought about it. But my idealism  differs from yours. I have always dreamt of a peaceful mind - a mind which does not think about reality. It also avoids ideas.  Let me simplify this for you. We think that people understand us but in reality, it is exactly the opposite. Here too, the realism  is again contradictory to itself. We communicate our feelings very clearly but still, our emotions are left unheard. This whole idea of our existence is an illusion.  What if I tell you that reality exists in your mind, you see the colours of the world do not exist in reality. It is our mind that makes us see those colours. I perceive the colour of the leaves of a tree as green, but for another person, it is yellow or blue or anything.  "I think therefore I am", Descartes  says. I do not believ