Skip to main content

Whispers of the Wicked: Screams in the Night



Whispers of the wicked: screams in the night, aabiwritesalways, aabi writes always, rabail anjum
Screams in the Night



He was losing his mind. 


He had already lost it. 


But that night, oh that cruel night! How could he forget that damn cruel nasty night!-- when he lost everything! His ego, his attitude, his life, his dreams, his parents– everything he worked for. Even his job. 


Just because of that damn crow.


Suddenly, this crow here before him became unattractive. Suddenly, crows were no longer his favorite. Suddenly, he lost the will– the determination to kill this crow. It would have brought him no satisfaction. 


He was indecisive. For the first time in his life, he was indecisive. He wanted to kill that damn crow but at the same time, he wanted to protect it. 


What exactly did he need? 


He had no clue. 


"Am I just being insane? Or the world has gone mad?" 


Suddenly, a new urge– he needed to make a coffee.


Yes, he needed to make a coffee. So he went to the kitchen and made a cup of coffee, delicious and hot. But he was not going to drink it. 


Instead, he took the cup, and he lifted it.


And then he poured it over his head. The entire cup, scalding, came splashing down over his scalp, his face and neck, his shoulders. 


To his surprise, he did not feel anything. It was neither hot nor cold. There was not even a sensation of liquid. It was nothing. 


What was happening to him? 


"...should I visit the doctor?” he wondered.


His habit of soliloquy kicked in.


“No, they do not know anything! I am not mad: the world is!" He danced around the kitchen like a kid. 


The crow-- the poor bird-- was watching all this. If only it could talk. If only. It could have told him how insanely he was doing things, how brutally he was murdering people– and how ruthlessly he was treating himself. If only the poor crow could talk. 


The crow wanted to yell, to scream, to shout at him. But all it could do was caw to capture his attention.


"Oh, my dear little bastard! What do you need?"-- finally, his notice shifted– "Do you need something? Do you want me?" 


He kissed its beak, its head, its feathers. 


The poor crow wanted to tell him the truth but crows never talk. Or, at least, when they do, people tend not to listen. 


"May I kill you, my pretty boy?" he asked. For a creature like this– and only for such a creature– he needed permission.


The crow-- the most intelligent bird-- sensed the danger and looked into his eyes, straight; it gazed into his soul and for just a moment, he became afraid. 


He dropped the idea of killing it.


He knew it was all nonsense. He could not take revenge on a tiny bird. How could he? He was the most precious person in the whole world– the most-merciful, most-forgiving. He was the reformer, the maker, and the destroyer. 


He was not sure. He was not sure of anything. He was not even sure of his own existence. He was not sure. 


"Wake up, you idiot!!"


What?


"Wake up, wake up now." 

Someone was calling him. When he tried to open his eyes, it was his mother screaming and yelling at him– as always. 


"Wait, what?"

__________________________


Author's note: To read previous chapters, click the links!

For 1st, click here.


For 2nd, click here.


For 3rd, click here.


For 4th,  click here.

Comments

  1. He was having a good dream and as always mothers tend to wake us from dreams .
    hahahha
    She would say ye bhi meri galti hai.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In the Abyss of Despair

I lost, when, where and how. I don't know. What did I lose? I don't know. Was I really in the abyss of despair? I had no idea. Maybe a part of myself, a piece of my heart, my soul? I couldn't figure it out. I never would. It was so sudden that I couldn't gather the courage to find it again. Why it was like that? Was I miserable? Or I was just overthinking? Was there any hope for me? Or I was just being overdramatic?  I wanted to scream, I wanted to share, I wanted to yell the hell out of me but I couldn't. How could I? The only thing that kept me alive, was no more with me. Without a soul, the words did not weigh much. I had only words. The words that had kept me alive. Without them, I was nothing, they had lost their impact. I was wondering in the sea of nothingness. My surroundings were nothing but the abyss of pessimism. I could have escaped but there was no need to escape. How could we escape ourselves? In the process of escapism, we lose the essence of the self

A Poem Rumi Forgot To Complete

They ask me who am I. Should this question be asked? Of course not. Sadly, I have no name, it ruins the beauty of mystery. The name does not matter, does it? Many people died without anyone remembering their names. They were incomplete stories, unwritten words, and undiscovered thoughts. I want to remain like that too  because I am a poem Rumi forgot to complete. Today, I choose to write about that incomplete poem. But why I am the poem of Rumi? And not of Shakespeare,  Shah Latif, or Bullhe Shah?  Because Rumi had Shams.  Shams acted as a muse for Rumi. When he started that poem, he lost his muse; thus an incomplete poem was born. An incomplete chaos, an unsolved puzzle, and everything that is lost on the way. We all are someone's Rumi and someone's Shams - doesn't it sound amazing? But in reality, neither you are a Shams nor I am a Rumi. We are those words that were never said loudly. Words that were only thought.  So, starting from this, I finally tried to write about my

The Conflict between Realism and Idealism

No, I am not writing any philosophy here. But, you all have thought of a dream life where no pain exists. No heartbreaks, no fake friends only happiness. It would be wrong to say that I have not thought about it. But my idealism  differs from yours. I have always dreamt of a peaceful mind - a mind which does not think about reality. It also avoids ideas.  Let me simplify this for you. We think that people understand us but in reality, it is exactly the opposite. Here too, the realism  is again contradictory to itself. We communicate our feelings very clearly but still, our emotions are left unheard. This whole idea of our existence is an illusion.  What if I tell you that reality exists in your mind, you see the colours of the world do not exist in reality. It is our mind that makes us see those colours. I perceive the colour of the leaves of a tree as green, but for another person, it is yellow or blue or anything.  "I think therefore I am", Descartes  says. I do not believ